torsdag 20 november 2008

Cooking lessons...


I've never been a big fan of beef stew. I guess that's why I've never really had the desire to know how to make one.

Well yesterday that came back to haunt me.

S called and said" Call granma I need a recipe" keep in mind this was late morning for us so middle of the night for her.I said"what do you need ? You know I'm a good cook son" He said " I want to make beef stew" OMG,My face went flush,I felt dizzy and I got this tingling in my stomach that felt like fear..My little tiny (6ft ) baby boy was hungry for stew and I didn't know how to help him..He would starve and it would be all my fault.I failed him as a mother!!!
What kind of mother doesn't know how to make a life saving soup for her first born child?
ME!!!???

That is when my Momma mode kicked in..I started thinking of all the things I remembered my own mother putting into the pot of stewing vegetables and meat that I have never had a desire to eat.

That's when it hit me...He doesn't know the recipe or he would be asking, Soooo... in my mind I came up with a brilliant plan..Make a stew out of the ingredients I know he likes and he would never know the difference...My list included onions, corn,peas,carrots,tomatoes,green beans..And a VERY expensive cut of meat his dad and I had sent back with him on his last trip home.

This was a brillaint plan indeed because he would now think mom knows everything about cooking.

Then the next question came up.."Mom ,how do I make corn bread "?
My response
"Stew is best eaten with a fresh baguette"

Inga kommentarer: